What can I take for diarrhea while pregnant?
Bismuth subsalicylate- (Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol) or loperamide- (Imodium) type medications are considered safe for pregnant women. Loperamide – the active ingredient in the brand-name drug Imodium – is used to treat acute diarrhea and sometimes chronic diarrhea. You can buy it at a pharmacy or drug store.
Is it normal for a pregnant woman to have running stomach?
It’s very common — and normal — to have an upset stomach when you’re pregnant. Chalk it up to pregnancy’s hormonal changes. It usually happens early in pregnancy, while your body is adjusting to the higher hormone levels.
What can you take for upset stomach when pregnant?
Over-the-Counter Medications Safe to Take During Pregnancy
- Antacids (Tums, Rolaids, Mylanta, Maalox, Pepcid, Prevacid)
- Simethicone (Gas-X, Mylicon for gas pain, Gaviscon)
- Immodium or BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast or tea) for diarrhea.
Can diarrhea cause miscarriage?
Although it doesn’t cause miscarriage, diarrhea can affect a pregnancy. An occasional loose stool can be normal, but if you have any of the following, call your doctor: Diarrhea for more than 3 days. Fever of 100.4 F or higher.
Is it OK to have diarrhea while pregnant?
Digestive difficulties, such as constipation and diarrhea, may occur frequently during pregnancy. Blame it on shifting hormones, changes in diet, and added stress. The fact is, pregnant women deal with diarrhea quite a lot, and if they aren’t cautious, it can cause problems.
What foods cause diarrhea during pregnancy?
“Simple” high-sugar drinks (apple and grape juice, gelatin, regular colas and other soft drinks), which can draw water into your tummy, making diarrhea last even longer. Fatty and fried foods. Gas-causing fruits and vegetables, such as beans, broccoli, peas, prunes and chickpeas.
What are some bad signs during pregnancy?
Pregnancy Warning Signs
- Persistent abdominal pain. …
- Severe headache. …
- Changes in eyesight. …
- Fainting or dizziness. …
- Unusual weight gain, and swelling or puffiness. …
- Urge to pee or burning sensation while you urinate. …
- Persistent or severe vomiting. …
- Severe pain above the stomach, under the rib cage.
Is it bad to squeeze your breast during pregnancy?
No worries — you can try to express a few drops by gently squeezing your areola. Still nothing? Still nothing to worry about. Your breasts will get into the milk-making business when the time is right and baby’s doing the milking.
Does an upset stomach affect the baby?
Your pregnant body has many natural defences that help protect your baby. So it’s very unlikely that your baby will be harmed by a short-lived tummy bug, even if you’re vomiting and have diarrhoea. Although your baby is sure to be fine, the same probably can’t be said for you.
What medications are unsafe during pregnancy?
What medicines should you avoid during pregnancy?
- Bismuth subsalicylate (such as Pepto-Bismol).
- Phenylephrine or pseudoephedrine, which are decongestants. …
- Cough and cold medicines that contain guaifenesin. …
- Pain medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen (such as Advil and Motrin) and naproxen (such as Aleve).