Can a child have diabetes and not know it?
A person can have diabetes without knowing it because the symptoms aren’t always obvious and they can take a long time to develop. Type 1 diabetes may come on gradually or suddenly. But kids or teens who develop type 1 diabetes may: Need to pee a lot.
Can I test my child for diabetes at home?
Fortunately, your child’s blood sugar level can be checked anywhere and anytime by using a home blood sugar (glucose) meter. Blood sugar meters give results quickly. Knowing your child’s blood sugar level helps you treat low or high blood sugar before it becomes an emergency.
How did you know your child has diabetes?
The signs and symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children usually develop quickly, and may include: Increased thirst. Frequent urination, possibly bed-wetting in a toilet-trained child. Extreme hunger.
What is the youngest age to be diagnosed with diabetes?
It used to be called juvenile diabetes because most of the people who got it were young children. Your child could get type 1 diabetes as an infant, or later, as a toddler or a teen. Most often, it appears after age 5. But some people don’t get it until their late 30s.
What are the 3 most common symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes?
The three most common symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes include:
- Increased thirst (polydipsia) High blood sugar levels cause increased thirst.
- Increased urination (polyuria) Needing to urinate more throughout the day. Urinating more often than usual at night.
- Increased hunger (polyphagia)
How is a child tested for diabetes?
- Random blood sugar test. A blood sample is taken at a random time. …
- Fasting blood sugar test. A blood sample is taken after your child fasts for at least eight hours, or overnight. …
- A1C test. This test indicates your child’s average blood sugar level for the past three months. …
- Oral glucose tolerance test.
How do kids get diabetes?
Excessive weight gain, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle are all things that put a person at risk for type 2 diabetes. In the past, type 2 diabetes usually happened only in adults. But now, more kids and teens are being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, due to the rapidly increasing number of overweight kids.
How do I know if my child has high blood sugar?
If you don’t drink enough liquids to replace the fluids lost from high blood sugar levels, you can become dehydrated. Young children can become dehydrated very quickly.
The main symptoms of high blood sugar are:
- Increased thirst.
- Increased urination.
- Weight loss.
- Increased appetite.
What are the signs of diabetes in a woman?
Symptoms in both women and men
- increased thirst and hunger.
- frequent urination.
- weight loss or gain with no obvious cause.
- blurred vision.
- wounds that heal slowly.
- skin infections.
Can diabetes in kids cause headaches?
Diabetes does not often cause headaches. However, while headaches are not usually dangerous in themselves, they may indicate problems with blood sugar control in a person with diabetes.
What are signs of being diabetic?
- Urinate (pee) a lot, often at night.
- Are very thirsty.
- Lose weight without trying.
- Are very hungry.
- Have blurry vision.
- Have numb or tingling hands or feet.
- Feel very tired.
- Have very dry skin.
How do they test for diabetes?
What tests are used to diagnose diabetes and prediabetes? Health care professionals most often use the fasting plasma glucose (FPG) test or the A1C test to diagnose diabetes. In some cases, they may use a random plasma glucose (RPG) test.