How long are sharks pregnant for?
Pregnancy lasts years for some species.
Some scientists estimate that basking shark gestation lasts up to 3.5 years. Frilled sharks may also carry their pups for more than three years. Some smaller species are at the other end of the spectrum. Bonnethead sharks, for example, give birth after around five months.
How many babies can a shark have at one time?
A whole bunch of sharks give birth to live baby sharks, called pups. Mako sharks, bull sharks, lemon sharks, and blue sharks are a few examples of sharks that are born live. Great white sharks usually have only one or two pups at a time, but some of the other sharks can have a litter with up to 20 pups.
Do baby sharks stay with their mother?
Some shark species lay eggs that hatch once they are ready, similar to how many might imagine a bird egg hatching. Unlike with birds however, mother sharks do not stick around until the eggs hatch. … Once the baby shark inside the egg is developed, it hatches ready to defend itself with no mother to protect it.
Are sharks born alive?
About 70 percent of sharks are viviparous, meaning they give birth to live young; the remaining 30 percent of shark species — plus near-relatives like skates, rays and chimaeras (an order that includes the spooky “ghost shark”) — are oviparous, meaning they lay eggs externally. …
Are sharks born blind?
No, not all sharks are blind. In fact, their eyes contain a retina, lens, iris, and a cornea just like our eyes. They also have rods and cones like our eyes too. Importantly, the rods and cones help the sharks to see color when there are different levels of light.
What is a sharks life cycle?
Their slow reproduction process makes white sharks vulnerable to extinction. Scientists classify white sharks into five different life stages: Pups, Young of the Year, Juveniles, Subadults and Adults.